Sunday, November 7, 2010

30 Days of Eating: Day 2


The Devil's Den: Happy Hour, Mussels, and Girl Talk

It's no secret, I'm cheap and I like fancy beer. It's actually a curse. I'm not content with a Bud or a PBR or Lion's Head... I need a porter or an IPA. I'm a beer snob. I'm sorry. I too wish it wasn't that way. As such, I'm always on the look-out for a good happy hour deal. Did I mention that I'm lazy too? Yeah. Luckily I had the foresight to rent a house in an area high in bars and low in crime. Unfortunately it's also high in children and low on music venues... but I digress.

The Devil's Den meets all my needs: It's in walking distance to my house, has fancy beers on tap, has a decent happy hour (1/2 off drafts from 5pm -7pm), and it's menu features items that are not all deep-fried. I met with my frequent foodie date, Lori for a proper ladies' early evening out: mussels, beer, and girl talk.

We started with a German beer flight for $4.50. Some of the beers were tapped and had to be replaced with others... which I'm told is typical for the "cheap bastards" at the Den, but overall the beers were pretty good and the bartender had no trouble explaining the substitutions. We decided to share their mussel plate because, well frankly it's huge and fucking crazy delicious. They have various styles to chose from, but I am a fan of the Diavolo... cuz you know, I like it spicy. You get a very large bowl of mussels, some grilled bread.... oh and as if that's not enough, you get a side of fries with that. Yes please, thank you. All this... for $12? It's a steal. My only complaint is that they give you skinny little regular fries that soak up little to none of the wonderful mussel juices. They should offer larger fries, like potato wedges or something... come on!

No comments:

Post a Comment