Sunday, November 28, 2010

30 Days of Eating: Day 3


Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes


I've never been a big fan of sweet potatoes. I always wondered why one would stray from the perfection that is the regular potato (that's how I would have described it back then). Because my mother loves us, we were pretty much required to be home for dinner at least every weeknight. This was not a very difficult task since everything she made was amazingly delicious. Even then as she and my sister would dig into these weird orange double agent potatoes... secret orange imposers waiting under familiar skin to prey on my savory-lovin taste buds... I would wonder what they saw in those things.

This was the first dish that changed that.

 ** ALTERATIONS **

  1. I do not use chicken thighs for this as I am not a huge fan of darker meat. I get it, it gives the overall dish more flavor... great. I just think that using boneless skinless chicken breasts is cleaner, quicker, and more tasty. I cut them into cubes and coat them in the curry.
  2. Lemongrass can be a bitch to work with and if not chopped properly it leaves this little splintery things in your food. No one likes that. Be sure to peal a few of the harder layers and use the softer inside portion.
  3. I tend to omit the sugar and use regular coconut milk. I don't like things too sweet and the flavor is never a problem.
  4. If you can't find lemongrass or Asian basil or fish sauce... please still make this dish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment