Sunday, November 7, 2010

November... the month of eating


My roommate recently lamented the passing of October.  She said, "I just wanted it to be Christmas already so that we can start on holiday crafts." Wait just one minute! Yes, Thanksgiving has the unfortunate luck of being the middle holiday child, stuck between the year's two greatest holidays. November, however, it has it's own very special charm. There are crafts to be done (ahem hand turkeys), you spend time with your family (fortunately mine is incredible), and you eat (and eat and eat and eat).

I was once told that all I want to DO is eat, that my entire social structure revolves around cooking or going out to dinner and without it I would not know what to do with myself. To him I say: So fucking what? First of all, we have to do eat to survive. It's a universally common activity. Secondly, because I came from such an awesome family, I learned early that sitting down with someone and having a meal is the perfect way to keep-up with the lives of those you care about. You take your time, you have a glass of wine, you open up and you listen.

So in honor of November I will be focusing this on food... glorious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment