Saturday, September 4, 2010

Autolux + This Will Destroy You


Preface: I am not a huge Autolux fan. I like some of their songs, enough to agree to see them last fall when a friend needed a show partner. Expecting nothing much, I was completely drawn-in by their commanding female drummer and how wonderfully she played with rhythms. Her overall demeanor was fantastic. The other two members of the three-piece reminded me of everything I dislike about LA in general, their look and actions seemed more style than substance. 


My next show experience with the group far cry from my initial experience. The difference? You may have guessed it ... the drummer. Though she never seems very bright and sunny, she was particularly gloomy when taking the stage. Whatever... nothing new for a band member about to play the stage at Johnny Brendas. From the first hint of shoe-gaze reverb, she seemed agitated. 


Maybe her issue was their mix, which was extremely bass heavy and quite loud. Brenda's usually has really great sound since it's such a small space. It's quite hard to fuck up a band's sound especially if it requires lots of warm echo layers. However, that was just the foundation for the band's issues that night.


The biggest issue seemed to be her mic stand which was just not staying put. She had to continually fix it as she tried to sing and play drums at the same time. This was clearly difficult. She went from glaring at stage hands to just taking the mic and holding it still while playing drums with one hand. Honestly, I felt for the girl. The rest of the band just played on, dipping and swinging their perfect bed-head hair. After a short, loud, winy set and a hurried encore she stormed off the stage. I don't think anyone left happy that night.



No comments:

Post a Comment