Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pavement @ the Mann Center



I've had this song in my head for 15 years and last night I finally the chance to hear it live.

Notes on Pavement:
  • Stephen Malkmus sounds EXACTLY like he did in the earlies 90s and even more like he does on every Pavement record (yeah that makes sense). It's eerie actually. He ranks up there with Kim Deal and Robert Smith as having one of the most true-to-the-record voices I've ever heard live.
  • Pavement fans are old. Yeah I guess I'm no spring chiecken, but I really didn't expect some old drunk jock screaming "THAT WAS A HIT" after every song they played. He did have a point though, they did perform all their most loved songs which I appreciate as a fan: I get it, you've been working these past few years on your new songs, but be real (insert aged rock band here) your fans came to hear a specific set of songs and really that is why they agree to shell out the cash to see you in the first place. You had your day in the sun, get over it, most bands only dream of such things.
  • Speaking of old, though they looked the part and sounded tight with a good sound mix and fantastic set list, there was something missing. They jumped and swayed and hooted and howled but there was something lacking in the overall energy and speed at which they played the songs. This became very evident to me in their version of "Here," a song I absolutely love that was kind of... boring live.
  • I never noticed how much Malkmus is Thurston Moore's younger, more suburban brother
Notes on the Mann Center:
  • September evenings are FREEZING at the Mann Center. That wonderful breeze that makes concerts in July so comfortable makes September nights downright chilly.
  • $8 for a Bud $7 for a Hop Devil... nuff said
  • Cleanest, loveliest smelling bathrooms of any venue I have ever been. Sometimes catering to the 50+ set has it's perks

No comments:

Post a Comment